Italian Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffed Chard
- 1 lb chard or kale variety
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup italian sausage (or 1 lb moose burger, fennel, red pepper flakes, garlic – mixed and let sit in the refrigerator overnight)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh minced herbs (rosemary, oregano, sage)
- 4 fresh tomatoes (thickly sliced) (optional)
- 2 cups stock
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmigiano – reggiano
Preheat oven to 350
Mix sausage, onion, garlic, pepper, herbs and rice, combining till gently mixed. Bring a large pot with 2 quarts heavily salted water to a boil. Remove from heat.
Make an ice bath in another bowl by adding ice cubes to cold water.
Holding the chard leaves by their stems, dunk them in the hot water quickly and then plunge directly into the cold water. Place in a colander to drain.
Place a few chard or kale leaves on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole or baking pan to keep stuffed leaves from sticking.
On a flat surface, lay out one green leaf at a time. Place 2-4 heaping tablespoons of sausage mixture in the center and wrap into a small burrito and place in pan. Place tomato slices on the top in a single layer.
Add stock to form a 1/4’’ layer in the pan.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Remove foil, turn oven up to 400 and sprinkle with parmigiano.
Cook until brown and bubbling, another 10-15 minutes.
Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.